Hearty Beef Casserole
Beef up your weeknight menu with this hearty casserole. Perfect for cold winter nights, and easy to make in your new Oakfield Rise kitchen.
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 2 Hours
Servings - 4 People
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5kg beef chuck steak, diced
- 2 large onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sticks celery, trimmed, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 x 425g cans crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Fresh parsley leaves, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Cook beef, in 4 batches, stirring, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil, onions, leeks, garlic, celery and carrots to pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Return beef to pan with tomatoes, wine and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Divide half the casserole between 4 plates. Serve with mashed potato or bread, sprinkled with parsley leaves.